Treatment options for heavy menstruation

Did you ruin your underwear and sheets?

Are you changing your plans to avoid embarrassing “surprises” during your period?

Are you tired of heavy periods dominating your life?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, be sure to discuss your abnormal uterine bleeding with your gynecologist.

Your gynecologist will ask you some questions and may perform a physical examination. They may also order some additional tests to find out if you have an underlying medical condition that may be causing the abnormal bleeding.

Your heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding may be causing you to develop anemia. If this happens to you, your gynecologist may recommend that you eat certain iron-rich foods in addition to the management options discussed. They may also recommend that you start taking iron supplements. Increasing iron in your diet will help your body correct anemia.

Sometimes the bleeding is so severe and the anemia is so severe that you may need a blood transfusion.

There are various options for treating menorrhagia. Your gynecologist will help you choose a treatment plan that is right for you.

READ ALSO:  How to diagnose menstrual cramps

basic medical condition

It is important to discuss your heavy menstrual bleeding with your gynecologist. It sometimes leads to a diagnosis of an underlying disease.

Bleeding disorders, especially von Willebrand disease, may be a common underlying cause of menorrhagia. Liver disease and a condition called thrombocytopenia can also cause increased menstrual bleeding.

Thyroid dysfunction, especially hypothyroidism or hypothyroidism, can cause heavy menstrual bleeding.

Treating the underlying medical problem can sometimes help improve abnormal uterine bleeding.

structural changes in the uterus

When your gynecologist has finished evaluating you for heavy menstrual bleeding, she may have diagnosed you with endometrial polyps or submucosal uterine fibroids. If you have been diagnosed with one of these changes in your uterus, surgery may be recommended.

One option that may be discussed with you is a hysteroscopy. This is a minimally invasive surgical procedure that uses a camera and surgical instruments to enter the uterus through the vagina and cervix. This is a surgical procedure that usually does not require an overnight stay in the hospital. Sometimes it can also be done in the office. Polyps or submucosal fibroids can be easily removed using this procedure.

READ ALSO:  Healthy Eating and Menstrual Cycle

no underlying pathology

It is common for all diagnostic tests to return to normal. In this case, there is no underlying cause for your heavy periods. Treatment options usually start with medication. If your heavy bleeding has no anatomical cause, it may be hormonal in nature.

Birth control steroid hormones are used to help thin the lining of the uterus or uterus. They also have the benefit of providing contraception. Options your gynecologist may recommend include:

oral contraceptives




If birth control is unnecessary, undesirable, or impossible due to certain medical diagnoses, your gynecologist may order you to take oral progesterone for only a certain number of days a month to thin the lining of your uterus.

In addition to hormonal options, non-hormonal options are also available. These may apply in certain clinical situations. Tranexamic acid (Lysteda) is another non-hormonal option. This medication interacts with your body’s natural blood clotting mechanism to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding.

READ ALSO:  Symptoms and causes of menstrual molimina

NSAIDs, or NSAIDs, have been shown to help reduce menorrhagia by reducing the amount of prostaglandins produced by the uterus. There is no evidence that one NSAID is better than another in reducing heavy menstrual bleeding.

It is important to speak with your gynecologist to determine which medication may be right for you.

Usually, your gynecologist will recommend a 3 to 6 month trial of drugs to control your abnormal uterine bleeding. If you continue to have heavy menstrual bleeding, it is important to discuss this with your gynecologist. In this case, your gynecologist may recommend additional tests, such as an endometrial biopsy or hysteroscopy. Your gynecologist can also give you more definitive surgical treatment, such as an endometrial ablation or a hysterectomy.