Do you have thrush? beriberi? Vaginal infection? Jock itch? Before you treat yourself, you need to know whether any medications you are taking will interact with the treatment of beriberi and other diseases. In particular, some antidepressants and antipsychotics can produce adverse reactions to antifungal drugs.of
Some antifungal drugs are designed to be taken orally—for example, to treat yeast infections in the mouth and throat, such as thrush. The risk of drug interactions with oral drugs is higher than that of topical drugs sold over the counter.of
Athlete’s foot is caused by fungus, as are vaginal infections and jock itch. Common treatments for these diseases are called antifungal drugs, usually creams, sprays, and powders. There are dozens of over-the-counter medicines for the treatment of fungi, the most famous including Lotrimin, Monistat, Lamisil, Tinactin, and Desenex.
Little-known brands abound, and major chain pharmacies usually have their own generic drugs. The availability of antifungal drugs makes them seem to be completely safe to use. In fact, if you look for, for example, “Lotrimin warning”, you will find it says “No reports of food and drug interactions.” However, if you look at it Deeper, you will find known drug interactions and many.
The most common active ingredients in antifungal drugs are:
Some fungal treatments contain other active ingredients, such as ketoconazole and butenafine.
Only tolnaftate and butenafine are not expected to interact with other drugs. Clotrimazole, miconazole, terbinafine, and ketoconazole list moderate to severe drug interactions, including interactions with psychiatric drugs.
Interactions with psychiatric drugs
When used regularly, all “azoles” can interact with certain psychiatric drugs. For example:
- The azoles used with Seroquel (quetiapine) can raise plasma levels to the point that people using these two drugs may experience excessive sleepiness, rapid or irregular heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, or extrapyramidal side effects.
- The use of azoles with calcium channel blockers may cause swelling of the lower limbs, sudden weight gain of unknown origin, difficulty breathing, chest pain or tightness, dizziness or fainting.
- Daily use of ketoconazole 14 days Abilify (aripiprazole) plasma concentration increased by about 70%.
- Xanax (alprazolam) product labelNeither Halcion nor Halcion recommends the use of any azole antifungal agents. The Valium label specifically mentions ketoconazole.
- These drugs may cause a significant increase in plasma levels of trazodone.
This is just one example of the possible interaction between azole fungi in treating beriberi and other diseases and psychiatric drugs.
In addition, the active ingredient terbinafine can increase the plasma concentration of several antidepressants, especially tricyclic drugs. After stable use of terbinafine antifungal drugs, nortriptyline poisoning has been noted.of
The only medicine for thrush that is considered safe is nystatin, which is rinsed in the mouth and then swallowed. It will not be absorbed into the blood.
Ask the pharmacist about possible interactions and/or consult your doctor. They may recommend that you use treatments that contain butenafine and tolnaftate, and/or may need to adjust the dose of one or more drugs you are currently taking while you need antifungal treatment. If you are prescribed an oral antifungal medicine, make sure your doctor understands all the medicines you have.
Whether you are suffering from athlete’s foot or some other fungal infection, if you take it, don’t blindly seek over-the-counter treatment any Drugs, not just psychotropic drugs.